License key error
I have set up the calendar and been using it for months whilst developing the website without a glitch.
The website has now gone live. I have added two users (my clients) to enable them to add events.
One user is reporting an error, when he visits the page the calendar is displayed on. I can only see the error on his computer, I have tested it on two other PC's in the office and we cannot recreate it.
The page is:
The error appears above the calendar - it reports a problem with the license key it is running in test mode - only showing one event.
I have visited the relevant help page, I cannot see any of the points are valid in this case. The license key is a full version and valid.
Hope someone can help. TIA.